Massive notes. Highlighters. Library hours (and I hated the library). Study groups. Flash Cards. The memory game with my flash cards. No time to sleep. Late nights. Coffee. Studying in the shower (that’s right…laminated my notes). More coffee. And lots of prayer.
Those days are so vivid in my mind. I even get a little shaky writing this- those test nerves.
If you’re in school, I’m sure you’re prepping for the LOOMING finals week. Every time I hear “finals week” I’m reminded of a talk the dean of students gave to us when I was in college. I still carry the notes from his talk in my bible 5 years later. They were so encouraging and just GOOD TRUTH for my heart. And now as I read through them once more, I’m realizing these points don’t just apply to finals week, but also to every busy season of life. Internships. Big events. Ministry. Weddings. New Puppies. (Much more on that on Friday!!!) Children. And on and on. I wanted to share these special notes with you in hopes that they encourage your heart, and help lead you through those busy seasons. (Thanks so much for that talk Joe Keller! Awesome Sauce.)
10 Ways to Live in the Midst of Life
- Set meditation moments (Joshua 1:7-9, Ps. 1:1-2; Colossians 3:1-3)
Spend time with Jesus. Find a verse you can draw upon throughout the day.
- Be faithful to your responsibilities (Matt. 25:20-22)
The Lord will bless your faithfulness.
- BE ALL THERE (Ps. 115:11; Prov. 3:5; James 4:14-16; Romans 11:36)
I always think of this phrase wherever I am. BE ALL THERE. Don’t be focused on the future, or be distracted…focus & trust His wisdom in having you where you are.
4. Breath the atmosphere of prayer (1 Thess. 5:17; Prov. 16:3)
Discipline yourself to do this…doesn’t come naturally.
- Eat and Sleep (Psalm 127; 1 Cor. 6:18-20; Ecc. 5:18-20)
For reals though….
- Serve out of your weakness (2 Cor. 12:7-10; Phil. 2:19-30)
“Serve because you love Jesus, not because it benefits you or fits into your schedule”
- Consider comfort (2 Cor. 4:18; Rom. 1:21-25; Ps. 18:1-2)
Think about what you run to and why. And then lay it at the feet of Jesus. God is our comfort. Rest in Him.
- Be quick to repent and ask for forgiveness (James 4:1-7; Matt. 5:23-24; Col. 3:13)
Just do it!
- Avoid analyzing when anxious (Phil. 4:6; Mattt. 6:25-34)
TRUTH: Don’t analyze your life right now. Sleep, eat, have moments with Jesus. (Have you noticed a lot of couples break up during finals week? Hmmm…don’t. Wait until after finals to analyze your relationship….or anything else you may analyze.)
- Breaks are a blessing, not a finish line (2 Pt. 1:5-11; Phil. 3:12-14)
Go Get ‘Em!